Ryan’s main research contributions are in the philosophies of linguistics and language but his research and teaching include the philosophy of science, formal logic, cognitive science, theoretical linguistics, African philosophy and epistemology broadly construed.
· Nefdt, R., Klippi, C., & Karstens, B. (eds.) (2020) The Philosophy and Science of Language, in Palgrave Mcmillan.
· Nefdt, R. (2020) Structural Realism and Generative Grammar. Synthese (forthcoming)
· Nefdt, R. (2020) A Puzzle concerning Compositionality in Machines. Minds and Machines, Vol. 30: pp 47-75.
· Nefdt, R. (2020) Formal Semantics and Applied Mathematics: An Inferential Account. Journal of Logic, Language and Information, Vol. 29(2), 221-253
· Nefdt, R. (2019) The Philosophy of Linguistics: Scientific Underpinnings and Methodological Disputes. Philosophy Compass, Vol. 14, No. 12, e12636
· Nefdt, R. (2019) Infinity and the Foundations of Linguistics. Synthese. [Special issue on infinite idealizations in science]. Vol. 196, Issue 5, pp 1671–1711
· Nefdt, R. (2019) The Ontology of Words: A Structural Approach. Inquiry, Vol. 62, Issue 8, pp 877-911.
· Nefdt, R. (2019) Why philosophers should do formal semantics (and a bit of syntax too): a reply to Cappelen. Review of Philosophy and Psychology, Vol. 10 (1): pp 243-256
· Nefdt, R. (2018) Structuralism and Inferentialism: A Tale of Two Theories. Logique et analyse. Vol. 61, No. 244: 489-512.
· Nefdt, R. (2016) Scientific Modelling in Generative Grammar and the Dynamic Turn in Syntax. Linguistics and Philosophy, Vol. 39(5): 357-394.