Areas of Interest
Philosophy of Science, Philosophy of Mathematics, Logic, Scientific Computation, History of Mathematics
Nic’s main research contributions are in the philosophy of science and applied mathematics, but his research and teaching include the history of science & mathematics, formal logic, decision and game theory, critical thinking, philosophy of language, and epistemology broadly construed. In addition to his teaching and research activities, he has also been involved with various outreach, regulation, and curricular initiatives to promote the teaching of philosophy and critical thinking in high schools.
- Fillion, N., Corless R.M., and Kotsireas, I. (forthcoming) Algorithms and Complexity in Mathematics, Epistemology, and Science, in Fields Institute Communications, Springer.
- R.M. Corless & N. Fillion (2013). A Graduate Introduction to Numerical Methods, From the Point of View of Backward Error Analysis, Springer: New York, 868pp.
- Fillion, N. (2018) “Clinical Equipoise and Ethics of Adaptive Clinical Trials,” Topoi, Special issue: Foundations of Clinical Reasoning.
- Fillion, N. and Bangu, S. (2015). “Numerical Methods, Complexity, and Epistemic Hierarchies,” Philosophy of Science, 82: 941-955.
- Bellhouse, D.R. and Fillion, N. (2015). “Le Her and Other Problems in Probability Discussed by Bernoulli, Montmort and Waldegrave,” Statistical Science, 30(1): 26-39.
- Fillion, N. and Corless, R.M (2014). “On the Epistemological Analysis of Modeling and Computational Error in the Mathematical Sciences,” Synthese, 191: 1451-1467.
- D.R. Bellhouse & N. Fillion (2015). Le Her and Other Problems in Probability Discussed by Bernoulli, Montmort and Waldegrave”, Statistical Science, 30(1): 26-39.
- N. Fillion & R.M. Corless (2014). On the Epistemological Analysis of Modeling and Computational Error in the Mathematical Sciences, Synthese, 191: 1451-1467.
- Fillion, N. and Moir, R (2018). “Explanation and Abstraction from the Backward Error Analysis Perspective,” European Journal for the Philosophy of Science, 8(3), pp. 735-759.